There is no definite way to identify a fraudulent seller or buyer.
We urge you to practice good judgement and keep the following tips in mind:
How to sell safely?
- Try to take the full payment at the time of the delivery. Remember to use a safe location to meet.
- Watch out for fake currency and money orders. Be aware that banks will not honour fake currency/money order and will hold you responsible for it.
- Verify the buyer’s credentials if there is a request for a bulk order. Ask the buyer to provide photo ID and proof of address.
- Ensure that your product meets the features you list in your ad to avoid any misunderstanding with the buyer.
- Do not share your financial information except the one required for payment.
How to buy safely?
- Always meet the seller at a safe location and inspect the item before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams. This is also true for house rentals.
- Watch out for unrealistic offers. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is. Unrealistic offers are used to motivate purchasers to make hasty decisions.
- The best way to transact is to collect the item and pay at the same time. Never transfer funds or use a debit card to pay someone you do not know before collecting an item.
- Ask for clear information on condition of the item, price, payment and delivery method.
- Use only those payment methods that you trust and are familiar with. Never give out your financial information.
- It is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller.
- In case of electronic goods, cars, and bikes you should test the functioning of the item before purchase. Verify vehicle chassis number. 3rd party services are available that can provide the history of a vehicle for theft, damage, and for identification purposes.
- Do your research on comparative prices for the product.